aircraft registration transfer

Two Ways to Take Care of Your Aircraft Registration Transfer Process

Are you planning on selling your aircraft? If so, on top of the sale itself, you will have to take care of the aircraft registration transfer. Don’t know how to do that? We can help with that!

Aircraft Registration Transfer

When parting ways with your aircraft, it’s important to remember that its documentation will have to go along with it. After all, it’s attached to the plane, not to the current owner. Because of this, you will need to promptly file for an aircraft registration transfer with the Federal Aviation Administration if you are selling your airplane. While this, like most bureaucratic applications, might sound like a nuisance, we have made sure that it’s easier for you to take care of this process. Let’s go over the basics of this application and how it will differ based on who the aircraft buyer is.

Transferring Within the United States

First case scenario is you’re selling your aircraft to a fellow resident of the United States, which means that the plane will most likely remain registered with the Federal Aviation Administration. In that case, you need to file for an aircraft registration transfer, the form for which you can find right here on our website. All you’ll need to do in order to submit this form is provide basic information about the aircraft and its new owner, as well as a copy of the bill of sale that makes the sale official. Once you submit this, the FAA will process the ownership change and assign the documentation to the aircraft buyer.

Transferring to a New Owner Abroad

Now, this process will look different if you’re transferring ownership of the aircraft to someone who is not based in the United States. After all, in these cases, the plane will not be registered with the United States Federal Aviation Administration. This doesn’t mean that you can just give away the plane after the sale and leave the FAA registration behind. Aircraft can’t be registered simultaneously in different countries, so you will actually have to go through what’s known as the registration deletion process. This is an application to have the documentation deleted from the FAA registry and, therefore allow for it to be registered with a foreign agency.

aircraft registration transfer

Filing Your Aircraft Transfer Forms

Aircraft documentation, due to all the requirements of the Federal Aviation Administration, can be confusing to navigate for a lot of people. However, it doesn’t have to be that challenging when you have the help of the National Aviation Center. Our platform is set up for you to not only find all the forms you might need, but also fill them out and submit them directly to the FAA. On top of that, you can also count on our team to help you through your application process. If you have any doubts or questions, you can reach out to us by way of our contact page. The National Aviation Center is here to help you.