International Aircraft Registration

How Is International Aircraft Registration Different From the Regular One?

Aircraft registration is a very straightforward process. In order to operate your airplane in the national airspace, you will need to register it with a relevant government agency. Not only does this process guarantee that there is a useful and reliable database of the aircraft flying across the country, but it also serves to organize information that could concern both the transportation agencies and the owner of the airplane in question. However, in order to register an airplane here in the United States, it needs to meet certain requirements, among which you’ll find that it can’t be simultaneously registered elsewhere. Because of this, the international aircraft registration process is slightly different from the regular one.

Registering Your Aircraft With the FAA

If you are planning on operating an aircraft in the United States, it needs to be registered with the corresponding agency. Think of how you have to register a car with the DMV in order to drive it. That same concept applies to your airplane, except that you will have to register it with the Federal Aviation Administration. This is usually a very straightforward process that mostly just involves filling out and submitting a form, and including some sort of proof of ownership over the aircraft. However, there are specific situations in which you might need a little more than that because of the circumstances. One of such cases, for example, will be when you are registering an aircraft that was either made abroad or that was previously registered outside the United States. Let’s take a closer look at such a situation.

What to Provide With Foreign Airplane Registration

The process to register an aircraft that was previously registered or made abroad is fairly similar to that of an American airplane. It will still involve the same registration form, but it will also call for some additional documents. Let’s go over some of the requirements for this registration.

  • A statement made by the official having jurisdiction over the National Aircraft Registry of the foreign country of export that indicates either that the registration there has ended or that the airplane was never registered there in the first place.
  • Some sort of evidence of ownership, such as, for example, a bill of sale from the foreign seller to the United States applicant owner that is signed in ink.
  • A completed application for initial aircraft registration (form 8050-1).
  • Payment for the corresponding registration fee.

International Aircraft Registration

International Aircraft Registration

If you are registering an airplane, regardless of where it has been manufactured or registered, you are going to need to submit some forms. You could do this through the Federal Aviation Administration, but you can also avoid certain complications of this by trusting our platform here at the National Aviation Administration. Here, you will find the forms needed for international aircraft registration, as well as everything else. And, should you need some additional help with submitting your form, don’t hesitate to use our website chat, fill out our contact form, or give us a call at 1-800-357-0893 and we’ll answer your questions in no time.